1. GideonFlux GideonFlux New Member

Cheesy enough thread title?

After reading a lot of you speak positively about this game, I wanted to share my review of this game here that I'd posted onto my Facebook a few weeks ago, but before I do I want to come forward and -briefly- introduce myself and my gaming experiences.

My name's Richie Beck; I hail from South Philly; I'm thirty-three, and I've been a gamer since childhood. Of course, back then, it was just Mario and the like, but then I got obsessed with Mortal Kombat circa 1993. Blah blah.

I am very picky and particular with the videogames that I play, as more often than not the game will consume my free time after work and on the weekends, and I like to play a game with elements that can bleed into my non-gaming life. When playing The Elder Scrolls, for example, I tend to work on artwork related to it. With Assassin's Creed - any of them - I let myself get into the history and culture the game presents. I rarely impulsively buy a videogame. I always research the game first, watching videos, seeing how it plays, what it's like, the mood, and so on. I don't want to spend money and time on a game that I can't milk, you know?

But Homefront - The Revolution was different for me. I've been whining about the lack of games set in Philly for years. Sure, there's Tony Hawk games, and a mission in one of those other FPS games I can never remember the name of, but an open world Philly - preferably a post-apocalyptic or dystopian Philly - was what I desperately wanted. Even in films we're often shorted. I almost want to start referring to a lot of games as 'Another Game Set In New York City.'

I'd never played the first Homefront, and when this one was announced I lost my mind in excitement. And then development hell happened, delays, and the game almost wasn't released. I was cynical like 'of course, 'cause it's set in Philly, thanks gaming gods.' But the game beat those factoring odds and was finally released.

And it was promptly ripped to pieces, mostly because of the bugs and the glitches that painted the whole experience into a bad light. Some people returned or sold theirs, while others simply ignored it. Some of us waited, either buying it and then waiting until it was patched or waiting to buy it until it was patched. Some of us were patient and extended an understanding that this game was almost not released at all, and that bugs and glitches in new releases is common but that it doesn't mean a bad game. Assassin's Creed Unity was buggy as hell upon release, earning bad reviews and a low score on this site or that one. And the reviewers never went back to try it after the bugs were worked out. The first impressions, which we know are everything, stuck. People listened, and thus missed out on - IMO - one of the best games in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

I predict, and am already seeing, that will happen with Homefront The Revolution. As the kinks and bugs are ironed and patched, as content is added, as the developers here and elsewhere try to answer and help and work towards polishing the game. I've had it now for two months or so and I absolutely love it. I've only encountered one game breaking glitch - corrupted saves - and even that doesn't deter me from starting over. Everything else in the game is so underrated that it's hard to imagine the reviewers played the same game.

This was the review I posted to Facebook. I had a lot of people tell me not to buy the game, that it wasn't good, and that they were sorry because they knew I was so excited.

REVIEW. Written and posted on July 21st:

I just beat the main campaign story in 'Homefront - The Revolution,' and now that I've played through the game in full, I think I can honestly say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. My 'I actually beat the game' verdict:

The Philadelphia Factor - 7/10. Anyone who knows me or follows my page knows that I have a healthy obsession with my city, which is the only reason I wanted to play this game. Philly is beautifully represented here. There are references to Philly pride and pop culture, which sounds corny but I never said I wasn't corny. My only minor gripe with the setting is that the city of Philadelphia is not accurately laid out. Think of how Seattle was in 'Infamous 2.' It's a very loose interpretation of the city. However, the whole game location definitely feels like Philly. The rowhomes, the murals, the mosaics, the graffiti, the cobblestones and Colonial houses, and most of the skyline. What I really like is how, when you first start in a zone, it's on a kind of lock down, but as you liberate it chunk by chunk the population within the zone finally starts fighting back. Patriotic and Resistance graffiti goes up, the people kill soldiers when they see them, and so on;

Storyline - 7/10. The story was good for being what it was. No better nor worse than any similar game or even action movie. Characters were relatively well developed, some with their own reasons and backstory as to why they joined the Resistance. Through the game there is definitely a patriotic vibe, obviously, as we're fighting for liberation;

Graphics - 8/10. The set pieces and the attention to detail really add depth to the game, and while there was an occasional graphical flicker, I cannot understand how some reviewers said it looked like PS3 or even PS2 era;

Music/Sound - 7/10. The score is pretty great, again for it being an action/shooter where a lot of people don't come to it expecting Beethoven. The sound is as you'd hope, with the sound of the airships as they hone in you making a pretty horrific sound;

Gameplay - 8/10. I really, really liked it. It's not an easy game, for me anyway, but it was satisfying when I finally completed a mission. Some of the 'liberation strike points' can feel a bit repetitive, but most of them really required me to approach them differently. Some were better with stealth, while others were more 'BLOW EVERYTHING UP' flavored;

Replay Value - 5/10. I give this one a lower score because once you finish the main campaign, you cannot go back and finish things up. The game warns you about this right before you accept the final chunk of missions, but I'm still a bit disappointed that I cannot go back through and tie up loose ends. It's my only real gripe - aside from the occasionally abysmal load times. It's like an older game, where once you beat the game that's it. I guess we're spoiled by how most games allow you to go back. The reason I didn't give it a lower score? I'm going to replay this bad boy. Now that I have a better idea of -how- to shoot and aim better - thanks, Dion! - I'll have more fun, and I can go in and explore every inch rather than sorta rush through to see City Hall. It might not seem like I rushed it, but I definitely decided that my goal was to look down at the courtyard of City Hall where I draw every night after work. Because Philly;

EDITED SCORE - Replay Value - 8/10. I just learned tonight while browsing the menus of the game that I -can- go back and replay the game until just before I accepted the final mission. This means I can go back and do the other strike points I didn't do, and if I want to I can replay the whole last sequence of City Hall and Independence Hall to really explore the cityscape and take better screenshots to torment you all with;

Final Verdict - 8/10. I had a blast. I've read a lot of negative reviews on it - many based solely on the open beta which left everyone with a bad taste in their mouths - and I respect the opinions of other gamers, but I just can't see where some of them are coming from. I genuinely had a blast playing it. It was my first real 'first person shooter,' and I'm glad it was my first. If the others really are better, then I'm no worse the wear.

But unless they're set in Philly, I probably won't play them.

So there was my TL;DR review/introduction. Glad to find some folks who like this game as much as I do and who are more than willing to express patience as the team continues to work on it. I might also post some screenshots at some point as well as photographs I've taken of the actual City Hall and Independence Hall to show how accurately they are rendered. Okay, okay, I'm done talking! KPA is at the door.

-Richie